Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Go Long!

Sorry I haven't written anything in a while. I'm going to make up for it because I have a heckuva lot to write about.

Last Wednesday/Thursday I PA'd a shoot for NFL Apparel. It was a 2-day shoot, which was a lot less than the 2 weeks I worked on the Sears job, and slightly more than the 1 day I worked on the short film. The best part (aside from the fact that the second day of shooting was in Malibu and starred Alyssa Milano) was that I'm actually getting paid for it! Friday at work, the assistant production supervisor came over to me and said, "you forgot to fill out a time card." I reacted like, "I'm getting paid!?" and was SO happy. The other intern that day was totally jealous, but he bailed on shooting, so his loss.

I have some pictures, too, that I snapped with my cell phone!
I only took pictures of the second day, because the first day was just in some neighborhood and then a parking lot.
Also, there are no pictures of Alyssa because (1) it feels like I'd be invading her personal privacy and (2) I don't want her people suing me or anything.


The backyard/pool of the Malibu mansion where we shot.


The view of Zuma Beach from the backyard.


Another view of the pool, which you might recognize if you've seen Lady Gaga's Poker Face video.


The last shot of the day, on the beach.


Malibu sunset.


...I know, right?

So, yeah. That was pretty sweet.
The director, producer, and most of the crew were the same as the Sears job, but there were a few new people as well.


On Saturday night, I hung out with this guy I met on the Banana Bread shoot, Chris, and his friends. First we played Bond, aka Hide and Seek with cars. Then, we had some Mexican food and watched a bit of TV at Chris' apartment. He drove me home at around 3am and I was so tired I fell right asleep.

Chris is awesome. Not only is he really cool and we share a lot of interests, but his life is pretty much the shit. I mean, he lives in an apartment with his buddy, not in some Malibu beach mansion, and he isn't famous but he's friend-of-a-friend with people who are.
Also, he's a tech wonder. He built himself a custom home theater system, including a high def projection TV screen that takes up his entire living room wall. People just give him laptops that are broken, he fixes them and asks if they want them back, but they say "nah, keep it," so he has all these spare laptops lying around. It was the first time in my life I've ever heard the sentence "there's a MacBook Pro in the back of my car, if you want it." He also said he could probably give me CS4 (after I told him the story of how every version of Photoshop I've had I've gotten from the guy I was dating at the time).

I knew there was a reason I love geeks.

To clarify-- just friends. No way I'm getting into anything while I'm out here. I'm leaving in less than a month.


Leaving is kind of all I can think about. I can't WAIT to go back to Oberlin and see everyone. I want to move into my house, I want to meet lots of new freshmen, I want to get going on my senior project, I want to speak Japanese again (besides talking to myself, which is kind of lame).

Jake and I have been working on our scripts for our senior projects. He's a lot faster than I am (his script is also a lot shorter) so he's already written a full first draft, while I've got 7 pages that I'm not really happy with yet. Yesterday I decided to cut out an entire character because otherwise it would just be too long. I may decide to cut out another character, but that would make the love story aspect much less interesting. Then again, maybe I don't need a love story. I don't know.


Back to the NFL shoot for a second.
What I didn't realize is that Alyssa Milano is tiny. She's 5'2" or shorter, and super skinny, except for her butt, which isn't big per se, but cute nonetheless. In fact, from behind, she looks almost exactly like one of my best friends from home, Allison, which prompted me to text Allison saying so. Then on Friday, Allison and I talked online and did some really nice catching up. She said that she and Ali (the third corner of our triumvirate) visited DASAC, the summer camp we all went to for 5-6 years. They were shocked at how much has changed, how barely any of the counselors we had are still there. One girl who was 2-3 grades younger than me in high school is a counselor now.
She also said that next year is the camp's 20th year, which means that it'll be 10 years since I first went there. That made Allison and me feel REALLY OLD, but also gave me an idea.

I already know that I'm most likely going to look for a job out here and live here next year (maybe share an apartment with my friends who are applying to USC grad school), but before I make the big Western Migration, it'd be nice to have some money. And, what better way to make some money than to work at the camp that I love so much? I'm not sure if they'll have an opening for me, and I applied to work there a couple times a few years ago and didn't get it, but I'm a lot older now and I think they might hire me.

I really like this plan. Not only would I get to work at DASAC, the place I considered for so long to be the greatest place on earth*, but it would be a sort of last farewell to the Pioneer Valley, the place where I grew up. My dad lives in Vermont now, my brother is currently working at a zoo in North Dakota (who knows where he'll go next), and my mom and her husband are trying to move to Cape Cod.
I never really thought I'd stay in Western Mass, and once I realized what I wanted to do with my life, living in New England just didn't make sense. If you want to be in "the industry," you've got basically two choices: New York or LA (or Vancouver, but face it, that would suck).

Anyway, that may or may not happen. I've got a ton of time to figure things out.


Hope this update satisfied your need for information.

Chris out.



*part of the reason I decided to go to Oberlin is that it reminded me so much of DASAC

No comments:

Post a Comment