Thursday, August 6, 2009

The wheels go round and round

This is a little off topic, but I've been thinking for a while now about writing a post about riding the bus everyday. I mean, what am I going to do for the 1-2 hours a day I spend on the bus to/from work but think?

Anyway, this post will be split into two parts-- pleasant observations and annoyances/complaints. Might as well start with the bad news so that I can leave you on a happier note.


All in all, riding the bus isn't so bad. A lot of people complain about it being crowded, being late, or being full of smelly homeless people. Sometimes that's true, sometimes it's not. Those things don't really bother me.
There are, however, a few things that really annoy me about the bus, and because I have nothing better to do at the moment and I am hopelessly addicted to writing my every thought on the internet, I will share them with you now.

Bus Pet Peeves
Now, I'm going to cut the bus drivers a break because the majority of them are really nice and don't do anything that bothers me.
Passengers, on the other hand, can be infuriating.

Let me first explain what I like to call the Big Five. The Big Five is made up of:
1. the elderly
2. the handicapped/disabled/injured
3. pregnant women
4. people accompanied by babies/small children
5. people burdened by many bags/packages

The thing that differentiates the Big Five from the other bus passengers is that common courtesy dictates that you do certain things for them, such as give up your seat or let them go ahead of you in line.

So, Pet Peeve #1: being rude to/ignoring the Big Five.
Yes, this means you, blonde-with-a-tan-and-a-cute-pink-sundress. Stand the fuck up and give your seat at the front to the old woman who just boarded. Move back a row or two. It won't hurt, I promise.

Pet Peeve #2: refusing to push in.
This mainly applies when the bus is standing-room-only crowded (usually in the late afternoon when I get out of work). Scenario: the bus is full of people, with several people standing in the aisles holding onto the rail. A guy, 20-something with sunglasses on and headphones in his ears, sits comfortably in the aisle seat while his backpack occupies the inner seat.
WHY?? Your backpack is not more important than a human being (ESPECIALLY if that human being is one of the Big Five)! Put it on your fucking lap already!

Pet Peeve #3: riding for 1-2 stops before getting off.
Unless you're one of the Big Five, or these blocks are unusually long/cross an overpass or something, this is a total waste of your money. You can walk those blocks. There is nothing stopping you except your laziness and your careless attitude on spending money. There are those of us who scramble every morning trying to get the 75 cents we need to get to work, and you just casually take the bus from one boutique to the next. It pisses me off.


Phew.
Anyway, I've gotten the negativity out so I can carry on to part two.

I ride the bus every day, and even though depending on the day and the schedules I take the bus at slightly different times, there are a few people who I see more often than others. These people are...

The Regulars

Regular #1: the Grey Bag Man.
Morning commute. Boards at Santa Monica/Westwood, gets off at Sawtelle.
So named for the grey duffel bag he's always carrying, this guy at first reminded me of my grandpa for no reason other than he's old and wears old man clothes. I don't know much about him, but I speculate that he probably transfers to Line 4 at Sawtelle, because there's not many stops from where he gets on to where he gets off (although he is Big Five, so who knows).
The interesting thing about the Grey Bag Man is that sometimes he doesn't get on. A Line 1 bus will pass right by him at the bus stop, but he looks like he's waiting for a specific one. I'm not sure why, but it's curious...

Regular #2: Big Blue Water Bottle Guy.
Morning commute. Can't remember when he boards, gets off after I do so I don't know that either.
Also named for the big blue water bottle he always has with him, the first time I noticed BBWBG he was also carrying a bouquet of red roses wrapped in a black plastic bag. That afternoon he was on the bus again, sans roses, and I wondered who he gave them to and whether she (or he) appreciated them.

Regulars #3 & 4: the Asian Girls.
Morning commute. #3 boards before I get on and gets off at Cloverfield. #4 boards same stop as me and gets off around Westwood/Rochester.
I realize this name sounds really vague, as there are a lot of asian girls who ride the bus, but the distinctive thing about these two is that they always sit in the same place. I think they know each other, because when #4 and I board and #3 is there, they sit together and start having a conversation. They're not always there, sometimes it's just one or the other, but I think #4 is probably a UCLA student, and I just don't know about #3, except she doesn't talk to anyone after #4 gets off.

Regular #5: Comic Book Guy.
Afternoon commute. Don't remember where he boards, gets off at Yale St.
I know what you're thinking. No, not THAT Comic Book Guy. I call this one Comic Book Guy because he looks kind of geeky and he gets off the bus right next to Aero Hobbies, which isn't technically a comic book store, but caters to the same crowd.

Regular #6: Violin Lesson Boy.
Afternoon commute. Gets on before me, and I can't remember where he gets off.
To tell the truth, I've only seen this kid once or twice, but he must be a regular because he always stands up by the bus driver and talks to him/her. In my imagination, he wants to be a bus driver someday, but that's probably not it. He is named after the violin case he carries and since he gets off in a mostly residential neighborhood, I hypothesize he is coming home from rather than on his way to a violin lesson. When he gets off, he skips, rather than walks, across the street. He seems nice.


There. Pointless/not work-related entry over.

Chris out.

No comments:

Post a Comment