Saturday, June 27, 2009

10-1

Today's been a day off for me. I slept for a total of ~20 hours between getting home last night and right now. It's hard to imagine that I only spent 3 days on set. There's another small shoot tomorrow at the office for the webisode, and then we're finishing up the commercial at some high school in Van Nuys on Monday.


This time, I'd like to be a bit more specific than just "here's what I did today!" Today's blog post is about walkies. These little buddies are your best friend on set. You have one clipped on your belt all day, with an earpiece stuck in your ear, listening closely in case someone calls your name. The walkies come with their own little lingo, so I'll offer a quick glossary for you.

"copy"
This is what you hear in movies when people talk to each other via walkie talkie. Basically, it's short for "gotcha" or "I understand."

"go for ____"
How you answer the walkie. When someone calls my name, for instance, I respond "go for Christine." If it's something quick, then they'll ask me right away, but if they have something more complicated to talk about that'll take a while, they'll say "switch to 2," to which I'll reply "switching" then change my walkie from channel 1 to channel 2, where we carry on our conversation.

"standby"
If you call someone but they can't answer right away, instead of saying "go for ___" they'd say "standby for ___" until they're ready to talk.

"20"
When someone wants to know where you are, they ask for your location, aka your 20.

"10-1"
The title of this blog post, 10-1 is short for 10-100, and it means that you've gone off set, usually to the bathroom or something like that. Not sure what that has to do with 10-100, but that's what I'm told it stands for.
The common joke on set is that 10-200 is when you're... well... you're probably going to be a while. ;)

"hot brick"
A hot brick is a charged battery. As an intern, I walk around with at least one charged battery on me at all times, in case someone needs one. As the day goes on, I'll carry around upwards of 4 hot bricks, although that's pretty overkill. I just like to be prepared, you know?
When someone's walkie is running out of battery, it makes a little chirping noise, at which point they'll call out "hot brick!" meaning they need a fresh battery. This is when I jump in and yell "got one!"

"Mucho Gusto!"
Something only likely to be heard over the airwaves at our set, Mucho Gusto is the nickname the 1st AD has for Simmie, the youngest of the 10 kids featured in this ad. Whenever Simmie steps on set, he (and subsequently other crew members) call out "Mucho Gusto!" As the days of the shoot went on, this became a bigger phenomenon, so much so that near the end of the day yesterday, somebody lent her their mic so everybody could hear her little voice in their ear saying "that's a wrap on MUCHO GUSTO!!"
She's adorable.


Now, that's about all I can think of to say on the topic of walkie talkies, so it's PICTURE TIME! I actually brought my camera to set yesterday, instead of trying to take pictures on my phone camera. Once again, I've blurred/pixelated people's faces, 'cause I don't want to take any risks exposing people who don't want to be exposed.


Here's a peek at what it looks like to be on set, taken from the area set up for the parents to sit and watch the monitor. Bottom right corner is the top of TJ's mom's head. She's been really nice to me.


A closeup of the monitor which the parents were watching. Keep an eye out for this shot in the commercial! (with a lot less green, of course)


The reverse view; set as seen from up near the stage. And yes, that is a TARDIS on Dana's desktop background. :)


The kids on stage reviewing dance moves before a shot.


TJ and Brianne go over the ever-evolving Sears Kids' secret handshake.


More kids on stage, getting ready to dance.


ME! complete with Red Sox hat and walkie headset.


The view from the inside of the (mostly empty) production truck.


That same view, zoomed in. What's that over yonder? Let's look closer...


That's right! It's the Paramount Water Tower!


Also, the Hollywood sign, as seen from the bus stop at Santa Monica Blvd. and Vine St.


Another closeup, to prove that I was actually that close.

No comments:

Post a Comment