Tuesday, June 23, 2009

First day on set

If I haven't written in a while, it's because I'm not sure exactly what I want to write. I want to keep this focused on the intern experience this summer, not just saying random stuff like "there are smelly homeless people on the bus" or "the Transformers 2 premiere was last night about two blocks from my apartment, but all it did was make the sidewalk very crowded." That's more suited to the likes of twitter or facebook.

That said, I can definitely write about today.

Today is my first day on set of a Sears commercial we're shooting. Not sure how much I can say w/o breaking privacy rules or whatever, but I can talk about how my day's been.

I spent all night last night trying to figure out how the heck I was going to get from my apartment at UCLA to the studio in West Hollywood in time for my 6:00 call. Once the socaltransport.org server stopped failing, I got my itinerary figured out, set my alarm for 4:30, and set out to get a few hours of sleep. In order to make sure I didn't miss my alarm or wake up my roommates at an unreasonable hour, I set my phone to vibrate and stuffed it down my sportsbra. It worked in that it woke me up at 4:30. My mistake was in not setting a second alarm to make sure I got out of bed (this is why I have four alarms at school).
I woke up at 5:40, got dressed as fast as I can, grabbed an apple ('cause I didn't know if I'd catch craft services in time), and walked as fast as I could to the bus stop a block and a half away, where I waited for maybe 20 minutes for the next bus. I called Dana, the head PA, letting her know that I was gonna be late, and she said it was fine, that she used to take the bus all the time and she understands.
Then, it was another 3 1/2 blocks to the studio, where I got a sticker and a walkie-talkie and met Dana. I met a lot of other people too, but it took me a while to remember their names/jobs.
I did various jobs, like carrying chairs from the production truck to the studio, running production schedules and call sheets back and forth, walking to the local supermarket to buy bottles of Fiji water for the talent, and sitting at the gate telling extras where to go.
I've taken to wearing my Red Sox hat around just in case that's how people remember who I am. God knows I remember people based on what they're wearing when I meet them. I'm screwed for tomorrow.
At some point Dana will be sending me the remix of the song for the video so I can time it out, but as of now it's 9:45, and I'm taking a sec to sit down, breathe, and write here. I'm keeping an eye (or rather an ear) on the walkie in case anyone needs me, but I doubt it.
I guess I'm good here, so I'll shut this baby down and walk around to see if anyone needs anything. It's a hard mix between wanting to be available and not getting in the way. I'll figure it out, I'm sure. Apparently yesterday they wrapped at 8pm, so I'll be here a while yet. AND I'm coming back tomorrow. Not sure if I'll be here Thursday and Friday too, or if I'll be back in the office. I know they've got some work for me there, so if the other interns are gonna be on set, I might just let them have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment