Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Creative contributions

I've finally been given the opportunity to do something I never thought I'd get to do this summer. Have some creative input on an actual project.

This morning, Chris, Dave Meyers' assistant, invited me and Kyle, the other intern here today, to come into Dave's office. Dave told us about this script he'd written and was sending around to producers, but had one flaw in two characters' relationship that he was having trouble resolving. We sat and talked and brainstormed for over an hour, it was super cool! Finally, he let us go with the "homework" assignment to do some more research/brainstorming, planning to meet back with him at the end of the day to talk over it some more.
This is kind of awesome. I won't say anything specific about the script, 'cause it feels like a breach of trust/privacy, but just the chance to talk creatively about making movies, instead of discussing practical things like time cards and shooting schedules, was a huge relief. It also reminded me how I've got to get back to work on my script for my senior project.

Tonight I'm having dinner with Kris, my dad's ex-girlfriend, who got me this internship through her connections at Radical. She lives out in Long Beach, but is in Venice for some meetings today, so we're going to meet up after I get off work and go somewhere for dinner.
I'm a little nervous since I've never met her before and I'm not sure I'll know what to talk about, but I think it'll be okay. Let's just say that I'm glad I dressed a little nicer this morning (denim skirt and blue button-up blouse over my white OCircus shirt) rather than my usual attire (jeans and a t-shirt, although I do try to dress office-appropriate). My footwear, however, is almost always my standard aquamarine flip flops that my mom bought me from CVS last summer. The only days I don't wear them is when I'm PAing a shoot, or otherwise know I'll have a lot of physical work to do, in which case I wear my Converse. The flip flops have seen better days, however, and may be ready for retirement soon. I think I'll try to hold out until the ball of my foot wears its way through completely, and I can feel the pavement when I walk. I'm cheap that way.


In Tarsem news, I have another tweet to share:
TARSEM CAUGHT ME WATCHING HIMYM AND CALLED ME A TERRIBLE PERSON FOR WATCHING A SITCOM
about 20 hours ago from web

to which Patrick replied
Tarsem apparently has bad taste in TV shows. Too bad for him.
about 16 hours ago from web


I will say, for Tarsem's benefit, that at first he thought it was Flight of the Conchords and that seemed to interest him, so his taste isn't all bad. And, as my dad pointed out this morning, as a commercial director, he's got to want people to watch TV, so he really isn't one to discourage sitcoms.
How I Met Your Mother is awesome. So there.


Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll return to manning the reception desk while Crystal's out getting lunch. AND I'll dig in to my own free turkey melt that I managed to jump in on the order for. :)

Chris out.

No comments:

Post a Comment