Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Weekend recap

OMG I JUST SAID "HI" TO TARSEM (the capslock is back!)
4 minutes ago from web


There you have it. I finally worked up the courage to say something to him. Well, it was more a function of the fact that there's not that many people in the office today, so as he was walking passed me, our eyes met and we exchanged hellos. I'd like to think it was a big, sweeping drama of a thing with elaborate sets and costumes, but it was the plainest, most boring of exchanges.

(If those teaser images aren't enough to make you run out and rent The Fall right now, I fear there's just no helping you)


Aaaanyway. Last week was the usual officey stuff. Then, on Saturday, I ventured out to the sketchiest of sketchy warehouses (ok, it really wasn't that bad) to PA for Banana Bread, a short action flick written and directed by Barton Landsman, starring Ron Livingston's brother (who has a cackling laugh to rival my own). Also, apparently the Fruit of the Loom's Apple Guy had a cameo during Friday's shoot.
It was a lot of fun, and I met some new people who were much more approachable than the people on the Sears shoot (not that the Sears people were cold and distant, just they were more all-business-all-the-time than the Banana Bread people).
After we wrapped and cleaned up, Pearson, a fellow PA who'd just graduated from Williams College, gave me a ride (in the director's Lexus hybrid SUV) to the wrap party, which was at this bar in the Arts District. The bar had a bouncer at the entrance checking IDs, so I thought maybe I wouldn't be able to get in, but either he didn't care or he couldn't figure out how to read a Massachusetts license, 'cause he let me in anyway. Pearson ordered drinks for me, and a good time was had by all.

Sunday meant staying in all morning/afternoon, resting after Saturday's business/craziness. Then Jake and I headed to Hollywood to see the Watchmen Director's Cut at Mann's Chinese 6. It was our first venture to the more touristy part of LA, and it was quite interesting. As for Watchmen, the director's cut was significantly longer, but it did seem to tell the story better than the original theatrical release. I think Jake put it, "it's like reciting a Shakespearean monologue, but you're pressed for time, and you don't want to cut any of the text because it's Shakespeare, so you take out all the dramatic pauses." With all Zack Snyder's "dramatic pauses" thrown back in, the movie lasted a while longer, but it worked. I wasn't bored blind, like I usually get at long movies.

Speaking of movies, I forgot to mention that Friday night Jake and I went to see Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince in IMAX 3D.
DON'T. DO THAT. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY.
The IMAX part was pretty good-- a 70mm print instead of your usual 35mm-- but the 3D was a total ripoff. The first scenes (the bridge collapse, Harry and Dumbledore visiting Slughorn's house) were in 3D, but as soon as Dumbledore and Harry arrived at the Burrow (which got blown up wtf??) a little "take your 3D glasses off now" sign flashed on the screen, and our glasses stayed off the rest of the movie. The movie was good, but the fact that no one mentioned that only the first ~20 minutes of the movie were going to be in 3D left me a little miffed.


And, since I flooded the beginning of this entry with links, then abruptly went link-free, here's something completely different.


Chris out.

No comments:

Post a Comment